Ventilated cask storage system has the following advantages over other systems of spent fuel storage in concrete containers:
- Possibility of storage up to 24 spent fuel assemblies in a basket;
- Ease of adaption of the US design for storage of WWER fuel assemblies;
- Structure passiveness. After the concrete casks with spent fuel are installed on the external storage site, there’s no more need in their equipping with drives, pumps or valves requiring activation and maintenance. The only required thing is regular inspection of the casks;
- Application of comparatively cheap and widely spread materials for concrete casks and baskets. Eventually, the experience accumulated by ZNPP personnel will allow for manufacture directly at the location;
- Minimum radiation exposure for the personnel. Thus, reloading of spent fuel to the multi sealed basket and then to the ventilated storage cask can be done in the tight reactor compartment;
- Вертикальное устройство вентилируемого контейнера хранения повышает эффективность естественной вентиляции;
- Options in location. The US variant of the system of the only modification of SFDS accepted by the US NRC for application based on the general license issued for a particular site.